It’s been a full week into the new year, and a LOT has happened since New Year’s came and went:
- Cancel culture is alive and well and went straight for James Charles after he was accused of saying the N-word.
- K-pop fans were scratching their heads and going “WTF”? after it was confirmed that Super Junior’s Heechul is dating TWICE’s Momo.
- People are mad that Rihanna didn’t release her ninth studio album before 2019 came to an end.
- NBA commissioner David Stern and Bobbi Kristina Brown’s ex-boyfriend Nick Gordon both died on New Year’s Day.
- Captain America actress Mollie Fitzgerald has been charged with second-degree murder for stabbing her mother to death.
- Anderson Cooper and Andy Cohen mocked BTS’ Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve performance…while they were in the middle of performing.
- The US launched an airstrike Friday that killed Qassem Soleimani, Iran’s top military commander — worsening tensions between the two countries, and stoking fears of a possible war.
- Because of all the anxiety over a potential a U.S.-Iran war, the Internet started making World War 3 memes because… I don’t even know at this point.
- Global greenhouse gas emissions are expected to reach a record high this year — concerning climate activists who view 2020 as a deadline to reverse global warming.
- Speaking of climate change, a series of massive bush fires are ravaging Australia’s rural communities and causing serious damage to towns and wildlife, and killing half a billion animals.
- A magnitude 5.8 earthquake hit Puerto Rico on Jan 6th, which was followed by another 6.4 magnitude earthquake a day later.
So, yeah…kind of makes you want to turn back time and go right back to 2019. Again, we’re only a week into 2020. Last year looked a lot saner (and safer) in hindsight, and that in itself is disturbing.